Category Archives: Body
Hip Hop Workout with Curvy and Curious
CurvyAndCurious.com is showing you that your workout does NOT have to be boring at the gym. Dance is good for the soul and a great way to stay curvy AND fit!
Submit your idea of a FUN workout as a response to our workout inspiration! Let’s spread the word that big girls still got it!
VIDEO BLOG: Bra Fitting, Reviews, and Advice for Plus Size Gals
If you read our articles on Shapewear and Bras, get ready for the FULL CUP of tea to spill! Emilie gives you the scoop on measuring your size, and how to find the best fitting bra for your needs. Watch the Video below and tell send in your feedback and ideas!
I Gave Up on Plus Size Modeling because….
I recently posted the following message to the public on my Facebook page before I unpublished the fan page for Curvy and Curious.
If you’ve been deleted off of my friends list, you probably either a) think you have what it takes to be a model but never will be; or b) run or take part of some sort of scam “magazine” or “troupe” catering to plus size models, tricking these girls into thinking they have something.
For years I let people sweet talk me into thinking I had what it takes, only to be looked at as thirsty, being asked to do anything and everything for FREE! I participated in runway shows put together so badly it was EMBARRASSING to even put on my resume, and met people who have called me any and every word referring to “white b***ch” (but only behind my back). I’ve publicized designers that then pass me over when the paid work comes in… Been spoken down to because of my race, and been buttered up by nearly every grimey “businessman” I’ve come across.
What I learned in 2014: DON’T follow your heart. DON’T live broke but do what YOU’RE GOOD AT and what pays the bills! If you’re not getting paid to wear clothes you’re not a model. If you’re over a size 16 you will most likely never be a model. Just freaking deal with it! It’s disgusting seeing women in their 30’s and 40’s spending every penny they have on modeling classes. HAH!
Discover what you’re good at, don’t let other people tell you what you’re good at to make their pockets fatter.
I apologize to my readers for falling off the grid, but I must say I prefer life out of the public eye, as I am now honing my knowledge of the modeling industry by working behind the scenes, building my skills behind the camera as a photographer and videographer.
Though my interest in modeling has faded, I am still a curvy girl in a big world, and plus size modeling has been the hot topic of 2015, with models like Ashley Graham getting an editorial spread in Sports Illustrated: Swimsuit Edition, and most notably, the infamously emo, tattooed up size 22 blogger/model we all love, Tess Munster, has been signed to MiLK Management (I can’t even count how many times I’ve submitted to them… *sigh*).
The way I see it, the more that these astonishing bigger beauties are nearly breaking the Internet, the more girls are being fed false hopes of becoming a plus-size model. I came across This article on Ravishly.com the other day which made me feel like I’m not the only realist out there among a sea of wanna-be’s. Let me quote one of my favorite paragraphs from the article:
“But I have to admit something: Tess Holliday’s gorgeous face intimidates me. There is no way, short of wearing countless layers of makeup and spending hours at a salon, adding perfect lighting to every place in the world where I might be present, that I could ever look anything like that. If I aspired to beauty like this, I would forgo a lot of precious time and energy to fall very very short.
When I see Tess boast #effyourbeautystandards, it doesn’t mean what everyone else seems to think it means. She’s a professional model, perfectly coiffed right down to her eyebrows. Slathered in makeup with the doe eyes and pouting mouth. To me, this is a contradiction.”
Well, Tess. This is how I #EffYOURbeautystandards:
Every time I go on Facebook I feel like I am being brainwashed to think that the fashion industry is finally accepting plus-size models. Note to world: THIS IS NOT REAL LIFE. The term “Plus-size” is still absolutely taboo when it comes to creditable fashion houses, fellow models, photographers, and designers (with the exception of custom made gowns for celebrities like Gabourey Sidibe, memba that?).
We’ve all read article after article that Sports Illustrated: Swimsuit Edition 2015 will be featuring “plus” model, Ashley Graham and her #CurvesInBikinis movement. Check out the video below… it’s definitely HOT, but…
….How many of you read the fine print?
…. and learned that Ms. Graham was hired to shoot an ad campaign for SwimsuitsForAll.com, who then PURCHASED ad space in SI. This means that Sports Illustrated never actually sought out a plus size bikini model, just that one was presented to them and they are following the trend of “thick women” (I.e, Kim Kardashian clan, Amber Rose, etc.) being the center of pop culture. My question is, why didn’t they feature the Fatkini as well????
I have a special project that in the works that will cover how the public feels about size….. This article is certainly TO BE CONTINUED as there is much more debate of what sizes are are acceptable and what is not.
In the mean time, Listen to Nicki Minaj’s new banger, “Only” and tell me what you think of the lyrics….
Curvy Girls To Follow On Instagram
Curvy Girls To Follow On Instagram
They are models, designers, bloggers but also know how to combine good business and pleasure, and their Instagram are the proof: this is the profile of the curvy girls to follow.
It starts with the most popular, Gabifresh, designer of Fatkini, real fetish curvy overseas. A photograph taken on the set like Gabi and in his free time with colleagues, capture moments in a relaxed backstage or her decision to look at an event.
Stephanie Zwicky, curvy French blogger, like to find the funny side of each day, her Instagram is full of playful images, interesting details, tips about beauty: in short, all those moments that make life less boring.
Margieplus is almost a trademark for that her look that distinguished her from her colleagues:…
View original post 176 more words
We are constantly striving to keep up with whats fresh. Unfortunately, along with the fad of “twerking” has come along the word “ratchet.” Last time I checked, a ratchet was part of a wrench, right? Not anymore.
UrbanDictionary.com defines “Ratchet” as:
A diva, mostly from urban cities and ghettos, that has reason to believe she is every mans eye candy. Unfortunately, she’s wrong.
Typical signs to beware of include, but are not limited to:
- BLARES anything by Drake, 2Chainz, Nicki Minaj, Gucci Mane, Waka Flocka, Lil Wayne, T-Pain, Cali Swag District, or any other garbage entertainment rapper
- rowdily quotes “lyrics” from aforementioned artists
- has a weave reminiscent of a bird’s nest after a tempest hit the tree it was in, and is dyed at least thrice
- wears torn leggings/stalkings (mostly of the fishnet variety), unpolished 8″ heels (or higher, depending on how God-awful they look), fitted jean jackets (to accent the blubber ’round their arms and stomach), and 4 layers of caked on make-up to go clubbing
- repeatedly use ludicrous terms such as “YOLO”, “swag”, “boost”, “beaking”, “doe”, “really”, “naw”, “actually”, “twerk”, “coaster”, “dagga”, etc., to make a valid statement when they speak
- have side bangs, despite having incredibly small-ass foreheads to support them
- are commonly overweight and are mind-numbingly stupid; a safe assumption to make would be saying they’re uneducated (as if they could pass the 4th grade)
After attending many parties and clubs, mostly in NYC, I’m seeing more and more “Ratchetness” with the growing acceptance of size. Ladies used to feel like they needed to cover up or couldn’t wear tight dresses if they have curves – these days are no longer. No matter how acceptable you may think your wardrobe is, you need to remember that you are a woman with curves and need some help keeping those curves in place! You can wear a short skirt or slutty dress, but wear tights (ahem, not fishnets), a bra, and shapewear. Come on, do you really want to look like this?
Twerk away ladies, just make sure there are no wardrobe malfunctions!
BTW, who said fat girls cant twerk? GET ‘EM GIRLS!
Stay Curvy and Keep Curious
- Room for the Ratchets (aytchschondra.wordpress.com)
- Epic Fail of the Day: Ratchet Girls Twerk on NYC Subway Tracks (bagladyboutiqe.wordpress.com)
- MC: Ratchet Is The New Classy?? (luluchris58.wordpress.com)
The Best Shapewear for Fat Girls! (Caution: Curves Ahead)
Check out our Plus Size Bra Fitting and Review Video Blog here!
I have come to learn that one of the most important, yet most DIFFICULT part of being plus size is having to deal with making the fat look like curves. If not done properly, this could go horribly wrong. The trick? SHAPEWEAR!
No matter how big or small you are, beauty is pain at times. Currently I am wearing a pair off spanxs so tight I can hardly breathe! But after you get used to wearing Shapewear and making it part of your daily routine, you’ll learn some tricks to make it a lot easier.
- Shapewar Tank tops & Camisoles are a lot easier (and sexier) to wear than high waist briefs, and they still cover your ass when you bend over. A must-have alternative to Spanx if you plan on hooking up tonight!
- Spanx have a built in hole in the crotch so you don’t have to take them off to tinkle!
- Bras can double as Shapewear as well – side and back smoothing, bridal corsets, and minimizer bras are made to shape you better.
- Waist cinchers (like Squeem) not only give you an hourglass figure, but improve posture too.
When I was in high school I was too scared to wear shapewear, thinking… “How can I go to school looking sloppy fat one day and sexy curvy the next without making it obvious that there’s Shapewear under here?” There is no easy way. You can either start off a little at a time, or go balls to the wall and just do it! I started off slow, and now am a Shapewear junkie.
Here are MY spandex staples:
Best Brands & Where to buy:
- Spanx -When it comes to undergarments, Spanx is the leader of the pack. Affordable, durable, and practical.
- Squeem – Gives you unbelievable curves! no, really – unbelievable – as in, too good to be true and its pretty obvious when you wear one. But damn sexy anyways. Better for big booty girls, rather than us muffin top chicks.
- Lipo In A Box sold by QVC and on Amazon.com – The quality is by far, the best – this coming from someone who has tried them all. Though pricey, totally worth the money. Goes up to size 2X (they stretch!)
- Camisole: Lipo in a Box Long Tank (original fabric) – I have to admit, I wear this garment almost every day. When I first took it out of the package it was so tiny, but you step into it like a swimsuit and BOOM! Takes off 20 lbs. Its durable fabric has held up for probably a year now, and every time I wash and dry it, it shrinks back to its baby shirt size. It doesn’t ride up, so no adjusting all day. Flattering neckline fits under most shirts without noticing.
- Bottoms: Spanx Higher Power Brief – Again, you get what you pay for – High Quality. Great to wear under a dress , too tight jeans, anything! I avoid the thigh slimming version because it seems to cut me off mid thigh and create some unlovely lumps.
Hope this helps you ladies find the best shape for your body!
Stay Curvy and Keep Curious
- VIDEO BLOG: Bra Fitting, Reviews, and Advice for Plus Size Gals
- Shapewear Trends (singletonelmer1.wordpress.com)
- SPANX’s New Star Power Shapewear Collection Is Here! (shefinds.com)
- Look Slim and Sexy with Shapewear Camisole (listfree.org)
Photos from High Voltage / Energy Up! Brunch on 8/18/13
Photos by Rubi Rose http://www.RubiRose.com