So lately I’ve noticed that most new models have no idea what to bring to fittings or shows. This is ok girls! We all start somewhere and I am going to share with you the necessities of your MODEL BAG!
1) The Bag – A small suitcase is convenient and about the perfect size. Remember – backstage is always cramped so you dont want to take up too much space. Try something like this to put your sacred belongings in:
2) The Shoes – 2 pair – Black pumps and Nude pumps. Heel must be at least 3″ and no wedges. Good to bring an extra pair of black open toe and/or a colorful choice with you just in case.
3) SHAPEWEAR! – This is important no matter how great your figure is. Shapewear smooths you under tight garments and distribute your weight more evenly. This is a MUST! Check out my article here for my best shapewear picks.
4) Stockings – Ah, the one I didn’t even know about until as of late. Nylons are great to have on hand. thank god I brought them to my last runway show 🙂
5) BRAS! – Lots of them! OK, maybe I’m just a little too obsessed with boobs, but I wear a full-coverage bra (like this) to every fitting or show, and bring at least 2-3 more (black strapless, white strapless, black convertible), plus bandeau tops in case I need to smooth things out. Check out this article all about my favorite bras.
6) Foundation – This is another one I just learned how important it really is. I prefer to bring a full eyeshadow palette along with all my makeup necessities. Most makeup artists I know reccomend Smashbox High Definition, but for us drugstore-budget girls, I personally use Revlon PhotoReady Airbrush Mousse Foundation.
I hope you ladies have found this helpful! From now on, anyone I spot WITHOUT a full model bag will be immediately directed to the nearest computer to visit CurvyAndCurious.com!
Keep Curvy and Stay Curious.
Check out our Plus Size Bra Fitting and Review Video Blog here!
I have come to learn that one of the most important, yet most DIFFICULT part of being plus size is having to deal with making the fat look like curves. If not done properly, this could go horribly wrong. The trick? SHAPEWEAR!
No matter how big or small you are, beauty is pain at times. Currently I am wearing a pair off spanxs so tight I can hardly breathe! But after you get used to wearing Shapewear and making it part of your daily routine, you’ll learn some tricks to make it a lot easier.
- Shapewar Tank tops & Camisoles are a lot easier (and sexier) to wear than high waist briefs, and they still cover your ass when you bend over. A must-have alternative to Spanx if you plan on hooking up tonight!
- Spanx have a built in hole in the crotch so you don’t have to take them off to tinkle!
- Bras can double as Shapewear as well – side and back smoothing, bridal corsets, and minimizer bras are made to shape you better.
- Waist cinchers (like Squeem) not only give you an hourglass figure, but improve posture too.
When I was in high school I was too scared to wear shapewear, thinking… “How can I go to school looking sloppy fat one day and sexy curvy the next without making it obvious that there’s Shapewear under here?” There is no easy way. You can either start off a little at a time, or go balls to the wall and just do it! I started off slow, and now am a Shapewear junkie.
Here are MY spandex staples:
Best Brands & Where to buy:
- Spanx -When it comes to undergarments, Spanx is the leader of the pack. Affordable, durable, and practical.
- Squeem – Gives you unbelievable curves! no, really – unbelievable – as in, too good to be true and its pretty obvious when you wear one. But damn sexy anyways. Better for big booty girls, rather than us muffin top chicks.
- Lipo In A Box sold by QVC and on Amazon.com – The quality is by far, the best – this coming from someone who has tried them all. Though pricey, totally worth the money. Goes up to size 2X (they stretch!)
- Camisole: Lipo in a Box Long Tank (original fabric) – I have to admit, I wear this garment almost every day. When I first took it out of the package it was so tiny, but you step into it like a swimsuit and BOOM! Takes off 20 lbs. Its durable fabric has held up for probably a year now, and every time I wash and dry it, it shrinks back to its baby shirt size. It doesn’t ride up, so no adjusting all day. Flattering neckline fits under most shirts without noticing.
- Bottoms: Spanx Higher Power Brief – Again, you get what you pay for – High Quality. Great to wear under a dress , too tight jeans, anything! I avoid the thigh slimming version because it seems to cut me off mid thigh and create some unlovely lumps.
Hope this helps you ladies find the best shape for your body!
Stay Curvy and Keep Curious
- VIDEO BLOG: Bra Fitting, Reviews, and Advice for Plus Size Gals
- Shapewear Trends (singletonelmer1.wordpress.com)
- SPANX’s New Star Power Shapewear Collection Is Here! (shefinds.com)
- Look Slim and Sexy with Shapewear Camisole (listfree.org)