Get your tickets online now for $15!
They will be $20 at the door so don’t miss out!
CurvyAndCurious.com gives you the best scoop on how to find the best bra for you on a budget!
Thrift Store Swagg is a clothing exchange, shopping, and runway event that was first held on October 12, 2013 by Curvy And Curious. Since the event was such a hit, we are now getting ready to do it all again! This time we will be donating toys to Toys for Tots and again, all extra clothes will be donated to Goodwill.
Thrift Store Swagg 2 will be held at Break Bar and Billiards, located at 32-04 Brodway, Long Island City, NY 11106. $15 admission gets you half price drinks and free pool all day, plus the clothing exchange! Bring your best gently used clothes and trade them for other peoples’ hot looks! Also enjoy a fashion runway show by Oh So Fabulous Boutique and Curvy Girlz Lingerie. Don’t forget to shop with Chocolate Cream Beauty Supply too!
Tickets on sale for $15 now at http://www.ThriftSwagg2.eventbrite.com
Click the flyer below for all the details!
So lately I’ve noticed that most new models have no idea what to bring to fittings or shows. This is ok girls! We all start somewhere and I am going to share with you the necessities of your MODEL BAG!
1) The Bag – A small suitcase is convenient and about the perfect size. Remember – backstage is always cramped so you dont want to take up too much space. Try something like this to put your sacred belongings in:
2) The Shoes – 2 pair – Black pumps and Nude pumps. Heel must be at least 3″ and no wedges. Good to bring an extra pair of black open toe and/or a colorful choice with you just in case.
3) SHAPEWEAR! – This is important no matter how great your figure is. Shapewear smooths you under tight garments and distribute your weight more evenly. This is a MUST! Check out my article here for my best shapewear picks.
4) Stockings – Ah, the one I didn’t even know about until as of late. Nylons are great to have on hand. thank god I brought them to my last runway show 🙂
5) BRAS! – Lots of them! OK, maybe I’m just a little too obsessed with boobs, but I wear a full-coverage bra (like this) to every fitting or show, and bring at least 2-3 more (black strapless, white strapless, black convertible), plus bandeau tops in case I need to smooth things out. Check out this article all about my favorite bras.
6) Foundation – This is another one I just learned how important it really is. I prefer to bring a full eyeshadow palette along with all my makeup necessities. Most makeup artists I know reccomend Smashbox High Definition, but for us drugstore-budget girls, I personally use Revlon PhotoReady Airbrush Mousse Foundation.
I hope you ladies have found this helpful! From now on, anyone I spot WITHOUT a full model bag will be immediately directed to the nearest computer to visit CurvyAndCurious.com!
Keep Curvy and Stay Curious.
This gallery contains 56 photos.
Thanks to our sponsor Size Matters Photography, check out photos from the Runway show by Curvy and Curious by your very own Emilie Alpert, Ose (Uh-Seh), and Mad! Couture by Madilyn Wade. Related articles Thrift Store Swagg Plus Size Clothing Exchange was a Success! (curvyandcurious.com)
On October 12th, 2013, CurvyAndCurious held it’s first event, “Thrift Store Swagg” Plus Size Clothing Swap and Runway show at Pioneers Bar in NYC. The event was a lot of fun – Full figured women from all over brought bags of gorgeous clothes to exchange for new ones! I know I’ve been enjoying my new wardrobe. Ose (Uh-Seh) and Mad! Couture showed some fabulous looks on our gorgeous models (more pics coming soon), and I even previewed my line pf upcycled t-shirts 🙂 This is a must-repeat event! Check out the photos by Turf Photography below!
Check out our Plus Size Bra Fitting and Review Video Blog here!
I have come to learn that one of the most important, yet most DIFFICULT part of being plus size is having to deal with making the fat look like curves. If not done properly, this could go horribly wrong. The trick? SHAPEWEAR!
No matter how big or small you are, beauty is pain at times. Currently I am wearing a pair off spanxs so tight I can hardly breathe! But after you get used to wearing Shapewear and making it part of your daily routine, you’ll learn some tricks to make it a lot easier.
When I was in high school I was too scared to wear shapewear, thinking… “How can I go to school looking sloppy fat one day and sexy curvy the next without making it obvious that there’s Shapewear under here?” There is no easy way. You can either start off a little at a time, or go balls to the wall and just do it! I started off slow, and now am a Shapewear junkie.
Here are MY spandex staples:
Best Brands & Where to buy:
Hope this helps you ladies find the best shape for your body!
Stay Curvy and Keep Curious
Some girls won’t leave the house without makeup. I can’t leave the house without a bra. As a busty buxom beauty at a 40DDD, my boobs are hard to handle, but I always make sure that my girls have all the support they need.
When I had my first go-see as a fit model, my agent said my bust was about 2″ too big for what the designer needed for their line. She said, “go to Macy’s and get a minimizer bra.” I ventured into Macy’s Herald Square in NYC, up six escalators, until I finally found the lingerie section. When I stepped off the escalator, I nearly had an anxiety attack seeing how much there was to choose from. Being from Jersey, I’m used to the limited selection at Caciquè in the mall. For the first time in my lifetime of being a self-proclaimed “bra expert,” I had to ask the saleswoman for help! Once I found some hideous looking soft cup minimizer bras, I high-tailed it to Vicki’s office to get re-measured. As ugly as the bra looked, I’d never felt so supported, and my boobs had never looked so good.
Lesson learned: always have the right bra for the right occasion. Depending on what you’re wearing over your intimates, the style may change. Here are my staples, straight from my closet (click the pics to shop):
**AVOID THE PLUNGE if you have big boobs, or if you have any extra or loose skin on your breasts** I can’t wear them because it turns out something like this:
I am still searching for a solution to wearing a backless dress. Embarrassingly enough, I even tried using duct tape as pasties! (Didn’t work, BTW). Recently, I bought the most ahhhhmazing dress, perfect fit, perfect length, edgy green with black lace overlay, and (uh oh) a cutout back. My back is the favorite part of my body, and I would love to spread my wings and fly! I want to show these babies off:
Us plus size girls are so often held back from wearing what we love because of our “tig ol’ bitties,” but let that be no longer! I hope this helped you figure out the right bra for you too. Stay tuned to Curvy and Curious for how to find the perfect fit.
Keep Curvy and Stay Curious