Category Archives: Models
I recently posted the following message to the public on my Facebook page before I unpublished the fan page for Curvy and Curious.
If you’ve been deleted off of my friends list, you probably either a) think you have what it takes to be a model but never will be; or b) run or take part of some sort of scam “magazine” or “troupe” catering to plus size models, tricking these girls into thinking they have something.
For years I let people sweet talk me into thinking I had what it takes, only to be looked at as thirsty, being asked to do anything and everything for FREE! I participated in runway shows put together so badly it was EMBARRASSING to even put on my resume, and met people who have called me any and every word referring to “white b***ch” (but only behind my back). I’ve publicized designers that then pass me over when the paid work comes in… Been spoken down to because of my race, and been buttered up by nearly every grimey “businessman” I’ve come across.
What I learned in 2014: DON’T follow your heart. DON’T live broke but do what YOU’RE GOOD AT and what pays the bills! If you’re not getting paid to wear clothes you’re not a model. If you’re over a size 16 you will most likely never be a model. Just freaking deal with it! It’s disgusting seeing women in their 30’s and 40’s spending every penny they have on modeling classes. HAH!
Discover what you’re good at, don’t let other people tell you what you’re good at to make their pockets fatter.
I apologize to my readers for falling off the grid, but I must say I prefer life out of the public eye, as I am now honing my knowledge of the modeling industry by working behind the scenes, building my skills behind the camera as a photographer and videographer.
“But I have to admit something: Tess Holliday’s gorgeous face intimidates me. There is no way, short of wearing countless layers of makeup and spending hours at a salon, adding perfect lighting to every place in the world where I might be present, that I could ever look anything like that. If I aspired to beauty like this, I would forgo a lot of precious time and energy to fall very very short.
When I see Tess boast #effyourbeautystandards, it doesn’t mean what everyone else seems to think it means. She’s a professional model, perfectly coiffed right down to her eyebrows. Slathered in makeup with the doe eyes and pouting mouth. To me, this is a contradiction.”
So lately I’ve noticed that most new models have no idea what to bring to fittings or shows. This is ok girls! We all start somewhere and I am going to share with you the necessities of your MODEL BAG!
1) The Bag – A small suitcase is convenient and about the perfect size. Remember – backstage is always cramped so you dont want to take up too much space. Try something like this to put your sacred belongings in:
2) The Shoes – 2 pair – Black pumps and Nude pumps. Heel must be at least 3″ and no wedges. Good to bring an extra pair of black open toe and/or a colorful choice with you just in case.
3) SHAPEWEAR! – This is important no matter how great your figure is. Shapewear smooths you under tight garments and distribute your weight more evenly. This is a MUST! Check out my article here for my best shapewear picks.
4) Stockings – Ah, the one I didn’t even know about until as of late. Nylons are great to have on hand. thank god I brought them to my last runway show 🙂
5) BRAS! – Lots of them! OK, maybe I’m just a little too obsessed with boobs, but I wear a full-coverage bra (like this) to every fitting or show, and bring at least 2-3 more (black strapless, white strapless, black convertible), plus bandeau tops in case I need to smooth things out. Check out this article all about my favorite bras.
6) Foundation – This is another one I just learned how important it really is. I prefer to bring a full eyeshadow palette along with all my makeup necessities. Most makeup artists I know reccomend Smashbox High Definition, but for us drugstore-budget girls, I personally use Revlon PhotoReady Airbrush Mousse Foundation.
I hope you ladies have found this helpful! From now on, anyone I spot WITHOUT a full model bag will be immediately directed to the nearest computer to visit CurvyAndCurious.com!
Keep Curvy and Stay Curious.